Registry settings

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Registry settings

Post  Murkz on Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:11 pm

TvsT saves you're settings in the registry:

People with controllers that auto run may find this helpful.

There are some very interesting commands in here Smile
Murkz
Admin

View user profile http://panzersim.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Registry settings

Post  norrin on Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:02 am

Sorry to dig this old thread up but I have been playing with some of the registry settings and I wanted to give you some idea of the graphical improvements that are possible by making changes to these entries.

Just in-case anyone else wants to try this don't forget that the registry settings are in hexidecimal format so you'll have to code in any changes you make in that format - you can access a very easy to use decimal/hexidecimal converter here: http://www.mathsisfun.com/binary-decimal-hexadecimal-converter.html

Today I will concentrate on the GrassDetail setting.

Increasing this number in the registry appears to increase the distance at which grass is rendered. It must be noted that this setting is hardware dependent so that on my laptop the maximum I can increase it to is 1500 (5dc) whereas on my more powerful desktop I can increase this setting up 2500 (9c4). If I increase GrassDetail to a number that is too high it causes grass draw-in as I rotate my view around the tank (the grass appears and then disappears), which is accompanied by a decrease in frame rate so you'll need to play with this number to find out which value best suits your hardware. Its also possible to remove the grass altogether by decreasing this setting (this may give you a few extra FPS). The default setting is 1000 (3e8). Although its difficult to see in the images shown here, if you look at the full size images you can clearly see that the grass is rendered further away and more abundantly at the higher registry setting.

Grass Detail Default (1000) Click on images for full size image (approx. 300 KB)

Grass Detail Modified (2000)

norrin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Murkz on Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:56 am

norrin wrote:Sorry to dig this old thread up but I have been playing with some of the registry settings and I wanted to give you some idea of the graphical improvements that are possible by making changes to these entries.

Just in-case anyone else wants to try this don't forget that the registry settings are in hexidecimal format so you'll have to code in any changes you make in that format - you can access a very easy to use decimal/hexidecimal converter here: http://www.mathsisfun.com/binary-decimal-hexadecimal-converter.html

That's a great link and well worth digging this up Smile

I increased the grass distance distance to 3000 (BB8) and had the grass draw in in sections, though the tank did stay visible all the time.
Murkz
Admin

View user profile http://panzersim.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  norrin on Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:02 am

I've now had a good play around with most of the graphical settings available in the registry and unfortunately grass is one of the few that actually seems to have a noticeable effect in game. If I get time during the week I'll post my results. But here's a few quick notes:
1. the bloom setting can be set to either 0 or 1 (false or true) but I can't see any real change to bloom levels in game, switching it to true however does remove any anti-aliasing you may have forced through your graphics drivers.
2. if you don't force anti-aliasing through your hardware and you turn on anti-aliasing in the registry it causes the game to crash when you try to enter the mission.
3. if you don't force anti-aliasing through your hardware and you enable both anti-aliasing and bloom in the registry the mission loads, there's no anti-aliasing and the UI is stuffed.

More later. Note this is on an Nvidia 480GTX it maybe different on an ATI GPU.

@Murkz - you may find you only need to increase your grass distance to 1200 to get the benefits of the additional grass - try to make this number as low as possible above 1000 as this will reduce the chance of any draw-in.

norrin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top